I think it is a great idea to carry a non-contact infrared temperature gun aboard the RV. These are super handy devices and they aren’t that expensive anymore. I’ve seen some as low as 20 bucks. You just point it at the item you want the surface temperature of and it displays it on screen. Most are laser guided so you can hit just the right spot.
I originally got it as an easy way to check my trailer tire and axle temperatures each time I stopped. Kept my hands from getting dirty or burned if indeed I had a hot bearing. Since then I’ve found all sorts of other uses for the device.
Here are a just few of the handy uses I’ve found around the RV for this gadget.
- Check mechanical temps – ie. tires, bearings, brakes, radiators, hoses, rear differential, transmission cooler, etc.
- Fridge – quickly check fridge and freezer temps
- Cooking – check oven, fry pan, BBQ grill, temps
- Cold weather – check plumbing pipes, weak insulation areas.
- Heating and Cooling – check output temps on the AC and furnace vents.