Continuing with my summer repairs and maintenance on the old Cougar fifth wheel trailer I decided to pull out the WFCO power center. It’s worked fine for six years but figured it was a good time for inspection and some preventative maintenance. I’ve always been curious what’s in there. It’s one area of the RV I haven’t checked out.
Disclaimer: Working with electricity can be dangerous. The following is for educational and entertainment purposes only and should not be taken as instructional. If you decide to do the same then research and beware of the risks involved. I don’t advise it without an advanced knowledge of electricity and electronics. I accept no liability. You have been warned! – Ray
Removing the WFCO WF8955 Power Center
First things first, I disconnected both the AC shore power cable and the RV batteries removing all power from the rig. Removing the WFCO (World Friendship Company) power center turnout to be extremely straight forward. Two screws removed the outside cover/door revealing the wiring, and the AC to DC converter tucked underneath.
Next, I remove four screws holding the WFCO power center in place and carefully slid it forward. I was pleased to see it had enough slack in its wiring to come out a fair distance. Two more screws and I was also able to slide out the charge converter circuit board. Behind the power center is a decent size cavity with wire bundles entering and leaving through holes in the floor and wall. At the rear lies a buss bar tying the grounds together by the looks of things.
WFCO RV Power Center Maintenance Performed
- Vacuumed and cleaned dust and debris from the power center case, converter circuitry, and enclosure
- Looked for signs of water leaks and rodent droppings inside the power center’s enclosure
- Inspected the wiring looking for signs of overheating, rodent chew marks, cuts or cracking
- Checked for loose wires at the screw terminals. Backed off and retightened each to create a fresh bite on the wire.
- Cleaned converter and converter fan
- Removed and inspected the converter circuit board and looked for cracked solder joints, bulging capacitors and signs of overheating
- After reassembly checked each circuit confirming correct voltage
- Ran each circuit and checked for overheating of any of the circuit breakers